These are from Jaime Eason and I made them for my mom’s group Tuesday and I only heard good things! Here is the original post 🙂
- ½ C Xylitol Brown Sugar Blend (I used honey, I will include nutritional info for both)
- 1 – 4 oz. jar baby food applesauce
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ tsp. ground ginger
- ½ tsp. ground clove
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 – 15 oz. can of raw pumpkin
- 2 C oat flour
- 2 scoops vanilla whey protein
- ½ cup almond milk (or milk of choice)
- ½ C chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 (or if baking with honey, preheat to 325).
- Spray a 9 X 13 Pyrex dish with non-stick spray.
- Combine first 11 ingredients and mix well.
- Add the final 3 ingredients (4, if adding walnuts), and mix until incorporated. Spread batter into the Pyrex dish and bake for 30 min.
- Makes 24 squares.
Xylitol with walnuts: 1 square = 63 calories, 2.3 g fat, 8 g carbs, 4 g protein
Xylitol without walnuts: 1 square = 47 calories, .7 g fat, 8 g carbs, 3.7 g protein
Honey with walnuts: 1 square = 74 calories, 2.3 g fat, 12 g carbs, 4 g protein
Honey without walnuts: 1 square = 58 calories, 2.3 g fat, 12 carbs, 4 g protein
So basically you have added 11 more calories and 4 more carbs if you chose honey, which is a great natural alternative if xylitol does a number on your stomach. I actually thought it would be A LOT more calories and carbs until I calculated out the difference.
I usually eat two of these with either PB2, peanut butter or almond butter on top. I know the ladies were also dipping into our fresh 1 gallon tubs of organic & local honey and putting it on top 🙂